Friday, March 12, 2010

Sentences with multiple clauses

Sentences with multiple clauses

Sentence with tow clauses have 2 subject + 2 verbs

For example: Hasan is reading a book, but Tareq is playing chess

Types of clauses connector:

A- Adverbs connector

1- Coordinate connector

Hasan is tall, but his brother Tareq is short

Examples of coordinate connector: but, yet, so, and

2- Adverbs of time connector

Tareq arrived at Giddo home when I was studying out in garden

Examples of time connector: as, after befor

3- Adverbs of cause connector

I stayed at home because I have allots of things to study

4- Adverbs of condition connector

I will come to play with you this night if Hatem will come also.

5- Adverbs of contrast connector

I went to shopping with here although I was angry

6- Adverbs of manner connector

You have to leave Home as I told you to do so

7- Adverbs of place connector

I will follow you whenever you go

B- Noun clause connector

- I understand what you say

S + V + pronoun + S + V

what you say = noun clause = Object

- What you have said , was clear

pronoun + S + V, V

What you say = noun clause = Subject

- She said that the film was boring

S + V + Pronoun S+V

that the film was boring = noun clause = Object

C- Adjective clauses connector

I bought the book that you told about

S + V + O + Pronoun + S + V + Preposition

that you told about = describe the object Book = Adjective

The book that I bought is cheap

O + Pronoun+S+V V+adjective

that I bought = ?

ملاحظات

Time Adv. يمكن ان تكون في بداية او في وسط الجملة

S+V [Time Adv.+ S + V]

[Connector + S+ V], S +V

Connectors from 2 to 7 it can come in the beginning and in the middle of he sentence

The following example shows the way that his sentence pattern can be tested in the structure section of the Toefl test.

You will get a good grade on the exam provided __________

A- studying

B- study

C- to study

D- you study

The correct answer is D, because the connector (providing) needs the subject and the verb ( you study)

1 comment:

  1. Adverbs of Time

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/17089913/English-Grammar-Kinds-of-Adverbs-Adverbs-of-Time

    ReplyDelete